Traditional Chinese Medicine has used the placenta for thousands of years, I have prepared over 200 placentas now in my two and a half years of offering this service and my clients have benefited tremendously. For those of you that need a bit more, here you go.
Placenta as a Lactagogon- Study on placenta and increased milk production
Soykova-Pachnerova E, et. al.(1954). Gynaecologia 138(6):617-627.
Placentophagia- A Biobehavioral Enigma
MARK B. KRISTAL, Received 2 February 1980. Neuroscience & Biohehavioral Reviews, Vol. 4, pp. 141–150.
Wound Healing Activity of Human Placental Extract in Rats
Acta Pharmacol Sin, 22 Dec 2001
Finding human placental extract has potent power of inducing collagenous growth indicating its proficiency in wound healing.
Effects of placentophagy on serum prolactin and progesterone concentrations in rats after parturition or superovulation
Blank MS, Friesen HG.: J Reprod Fertil. 1980 Nov;60(2):273-8.
Enhancement of opioid-mediated analgesia: A solution to the enigma of placentophagia
Mark B. Kristal
Department of Psychology, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
Received 4 January 1991.
Placenta and Pain Relief
Jean M. DiPirro*, Mark B. Kristal
Hypothalamic corticotropin-releasing hormone suppression during the postpartum period: implications for the increase in psychiatric manifestations at this time – Study showing low CRH Hormone levels post-birth – CRH (stress reducer hormone – found in high levels in the placenta)
Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Vol 81, 1912-1917, Copyright © 1996 by Endocrine Society
Maternal Iron Deﬁciency Anemia Affects Postpartum Emotions and Cognition
John L. Beard,2 Michael K. Hendricks,* Eva M. Perez,* Laura E. Murray-Kolb, Astrid Berg,*
Lynne Vernon-Feagans,† James Irlam,* Washiefa Isaacs,* Alan Sive,* and Mark Tomlinson*
Department of Nutritional Sciences, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802; *School of
Child and Adolescent Health, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa; and †School of Education,
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599
Have we forgotten the significance of postpartum iron deficiency?
Lisa M. Bodnar, PhD, MPH, RD,a,* Mary E. Cogswell, DrPH, RN,b Thad McDonald, MDc
The Impact of Fatigue on the Development of Postpartum Depression
Elizabeth J. Corwin, Jean Brownstead, Nichole Barton, Starlet Heckard, and Karen Morin
Iron supplementation for unexplained fatigue in non-anaemic women: double blind randomised placebo controlled trial
F Verdon, general practitioner1, B Burnand, senior lecturer2, C-L Fallab Stubi, pharmacist3, C Bonard, general practitioner1, M
Graff, general practitioner1, A Michaud, general practitioner1, T Bischoff, general practitioner1, M de Vevey, general practitioner1,
J-P Studer, general practitioner1, L Herzig, general practitioner1, C Chapuis, general practitioner1, J Tissot, general practitioner1,
A Pécoud, professor3, B Favrat, consultant of internal medicine3
BMJ 2003;326:1124 (24 May), doi:10.1136/bmj.326.7399.1124
The Bridge of Life: Options for Placentas
Written by British midwife Kelly Graff; Published by Midwifery Today 2008
Placentophagia: Benefits of Eating the Placenta
Published June 28, 2007 by:Amy Weekley
Written for BabyCenter Singapore Approved by the BabyCenter Medical Advisory Board
Medicinal Uses of the Placenta
The gentlebirth.org website is provided courtesy of Ronnie Falcao, LM MS, a homebirth midwife in Mountain View, CA
The Tree of Life
Hollywood Birth Centre Newsletter August 2009
The Amazing Placenta
By Robin Elise Weiss, LCCE, About.com Guide
I’m Going to Eat My Placenta
posted by Kiri Westby Jun 28, 2010 5:08 pm
Postpartum Depression: Exploring the Signs, the Causes, the Remedies, and Theories in Natural Prevention
A Presentation by Alexandra Orchard
I used the following sources to find most of the information I presented:
- Ford, G. Listening To Your Hormones. Rocklin, CA: Prima Publishing; 1997 (pages 30-31, 38-39, 61-81, 88-89, 106-107, 114-115, 154-157, 164-165, 170-191, 210-213, 305-319, and 384-385)
- Bennett, S. S., & Indman, P. ,. (2006). Beyond The Blues. San Jose, CA: Moodswings Press. Pages 32 and 34
- KRISTAL, M.B. Enhancement of opioid-mediated analgesia: A solution to the enigma of placentophagia. NEUROSCI BIOBEHAV REV 15(3) 425-435, 1991
- KRISTAL, M.B. Placentophagia: A Biobehavioral enigma Neuroscience & Biohehavioral Reviews, Vol. 4, pp. 141–150.
- Jean M. DiPirro, Mark B. Kristal, Placenta ingestion by rats enhances delta- and kappa-opioid antinociception, but suppresses mu-opioid antinociception Brain Research 1014 (2004) 22–33
- Rice J. Medical Terminology with Human Anatomy. 5th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.; 2005 pages 352-363)
- Frye A. Holistic Midwifery, Vol 1.Portland, OR: Labrys Press; 2006 (p 188-198)
10. http://books.google.com/books?id=Eh2HrXYqJJYC&pg=PA228&dq=Hormone+in+placental+tissue&cd=5#v=onepage&q=Hormone%20in%20placental%20tissue&f=false Normal human tissue and cell culture, Volume 2 By Curtis C. Harris, Benjamin Franklin Trump, Gary D. Stoner PAGE 236
11. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/13129686 Placenta. 2003 Sep-Oct;24(8-9):882-94.Trophoblast viability in perfused term placental tissue and explant cultures limited to 7-24 hours. Di Santo S, Malek A, Sager R, Andres AC, Schneider H. Universitäts-Frauenklinik Inselspital, Effingerstrasse 102, CH-3010 Berne, Switzerland.
13. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9290148 Placenta. 1997 Sep;18(7):535-40.Thyroid hormone efflux from placental tissue is not stimulated during cell volume regulation. Mitchell AM, Manley SW, Mortimer RH. Conjoint Endocrine Laboratory, Royal Brisbane Hospital, Queensland, Australia.
14. http://books.google.com/books?id=NR1Pcv4Dxs4C&pg=PA147&lpg=PA147&dq=thyroid+hormones+found+in+placental+tissue&source=bl&ots=HzPMSNEbVU&sig=3vQU3f54UtNix5odnF3e5VTavz0&hl=en&ei=cr9lS_uyCIXoM6q8veoG&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CA0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=thyroid%20hormones%20found%20in%20placental%20tissue&f=false Pathology of the human placenta By Kurt Benirschke, Peter Kaufmann 4th ed.Springer-Verlag New York, Inc.; New York. page 147
15. http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/reprint/147/6/785.pdf CLINICAL STUDY Pregnancy-associated and placental proteins in the placental tissue of normal pregnant women and patients with pre-eclampsia at term
Nick A Bersinger, Nigel Groome1 and Shanthi Muttukrishna2
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland, 1School of Biological and Molecular Sciences,
Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, UK and 2Nuffield Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
(Correspondence should be addressed to N A Bersinger, Reproductive and Perinatal Medicine Research Laboratory, Inselspital G3-855 KKL, Berne,
CH-3010, Switzerland; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
(Shanthi Muttukrishna is currently at Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University College London, Royal Free–UCL Medical School,
London WC1E 6HX, UK)
Annual Review of Physiology
Vol. 43: 163-188 (Volume publication date October 1981)
Endocrine Physiology of the Placenta
E R Simpson, and P C MacDonald
17. http://ajpregu.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/287/4/R894 Influence of gestational age and fetal iron status on IRP activity and iron transporter protein expression in third-trimester human placenta Jenni Bradley,1 Elizabeth A. Leibold,2 Z. Leah Harris,3 Jane D. Wobken,1 Stephen Clarke,4 Kimberly B. Zumbrennen,2 Richard S. Eisenstein,4 andMichael K. Georgieff1Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 287: R894-R901, 2004. First published June 3, 2004; doi:10.1152/ajpregu.00525.2003
20. Baby Blues-postpartum depression attributed to low levels of CRH after placenta is gone-brief article. Discover, Dec, 1995
21. BMJ 2003;326:1124 (24 May), doi:10.1136/bmj.326.7399.1124 http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/326/7399/1124 © 2005 The American Society for Nutritional Sciences J. Nutr. 135:267-272, February 2005 http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/135/2/267
22. Elizabeth J. Corwin, Jean Brownstead, Nichole Barton, Starlet Heckard, Karen Morin (2005) The Impact of Fatigue on the Development of Postpartum Depression Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing 34 (5) , 577–586 doi:10.1177/0884217505279997
23. Soykova-Pachnerova,E. “Placenta as Lactagogon” Gynecologia: International monthly review of obstetrics and gynecology. 1954, pages 617-27